This blog is to explore the many theories in histories. Why are we so drawn to the unexplained? Why do we spend countless hours, spend thousands of dollars, and write hundreds of articles on the unexplained?
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Imagine
Imagine what is was like for the 117 or so people that had uprooted their whole family and life to head to the New World. Imagine what it felt like to cross the Atlantic Ocean in a boat back in late 1500's! No luxury liner, no million dollar yacht, just a wooden ship with less than ideal standards. It was the thought of ownership, the very thought that they were to come to the New World to start a life away from what they knew. What do you think crossed their minds as they sailed for months? Was this the right choice for their families? Would it be safe? It's funny when you think about making changes in your life about what difficulties lie ahead. Yet when we think about history it's amazing to think about what their difficulties were to be. Think about the colonist, things that they had to worry about; was the land going to be able to provide enough that they would be able to provide for their families? Were the natives that they had heard about savages? Now imagine, your settled into your new colony and your called back by the Queen. Imagine the difficulties that John White was facing inside himself as he had to make the journey back and leave his daughter and her first born with the intentions to resupply then return as soon as possible. Only to be delayed by two whole years, to return to a colony that was completely deserted....just Imagine..
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

When I think about history and all the hardships that people had to endure it's very amazing and inspiring. I could never imagine being on a ship for that long sailing into the unknown and never knowing what's about to come up next. I could only imagine what horrible conditons they had to live in, it sounds cold and wet. It is very amazing though that they did search out for new land and explored to new teritorry that we have now. If it weren't for them who knows how long it would have taken for someone else to make that long journey. - Jessica C.
ReplyDeleteIt's very true, who knows how long it would of been till someone else made that journey. I often think about what they were told to get them to buy into coming to a land of unknown. I know it would of been very difficult to convince me to leave what I had worked for and what effectsit would have on my family life. Do you feel it would of been an easy thing for you to do? It's funny too, when I was doing my research for this project everytime I would read about the journey and colony life I always imagined it wet and cold!-Anthony
ReplyDeleteI don't think I would have done it no matter what they said lied ahead. I don't make impulse decisions and once I'm comfortable in a situation I don't like it to change. So I probably would have stayed put until someone else checked out the situation first and said if it was better or not.
ReplyDelete